Ellen Leonard optimizes your health and wellness with Ayurveda, Yoga, and Health and Wellness Coaching in Indianapolis, Indiana. Trained at Kripalu and with a Master's degree in Adult Education from Indiana University, Ellen offers stress management services to corporate and executive clients, as well as instructional design options.
health coaching for
Happier, Healthier, more successful clients
You've started an ayurveda practice
Motivate Real Change
why coaching techniques?
I graduated from Kripalu, excited to share Ayurveda with my clients. Once I began working with clients, I noticed that clients weren't always integrating my suggestions. That's fine, not everything is for everyone, but I thought:
There must be a better way to help clients incorporate lasting behavioral change.
What we really want for our clients is for them to be happier and healthier. Integrating lasting behavioral change is challenging, especially for many clients for whom Ayurveda is new. Coaching techniques have helped me to serve my clients more effectively.
I'm a Wellcoaches Certified Health Coach. I've also developed an online course that I instruct at Indiana University called "Applied Wellness Coaching and Motivational Interviewing," teaching undergraduates a variety of coaching skills.
I'm excited to share effective strategies for improving client interactions and successes by applying coaching strategies to Ayurveda consultations. The techniques you learn can help improve client interactions and compliance.
This introductory Ayurveda Coaching Course is designed to give you enough to get started through summaries of useful coaching concepts and practice of techniques. For those pittas interested in more – don’t worry, I’ll offer extra resources for further study and there will be a longer more in depth course offered next year.
Evolve your practice - Applying concepts of positive psychology and coaching to help your Ayurveda clients.
What will I learn?
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Explain basic evidence-based coaching concepts including goal setting, stages of behavioral change, and appreciative inquiry.
- Distinguish stages of behavioral change of clients and devise specific strategies to help them.
- Apply perceptive listening and open-ended inquiry skills to enhance client compliance.
- Employ techniques from positive psychology to help clients stay on track and focused during consultations.
- Apply the coaching skills of goal setting, reviewing goals, coaching presence, and appreciative inquiry with clients.
Coaching Techniques will be taught with Ayurveda specific scenarios.
how does it work?
Weekly live 90-min tele-seminars (on the phone) with coaching practice sessions during each class - you get to practice your skills immediately! Course content will be delivered online (readings, video, etc...).
*It is essential that you have a reliable phone connection to participate in the course - you will be practicing techniques with partners during much of the classes and there is nothing worse than having a partner who can't practice because you can't hear them or their connection keeps breaking up. If you are an international student, please contact me before signing up.
Thursdays from 2-3:30pm ET; OCTOBER 5, 12, 19, & 26, 2017
TUESDAYS FROM 7-8:30PM ET; NOVEMBER 7, 14, 21, & 28, 2017
Total PACE credits: 6
- 10-40 min lecture/discussion
- 20-40min practice of techniques with partners - instructor will be dropping in to observe and answer questions
- 10-20min reflection/summary/questions
What do you mean, practice techniques?
Each week you will be practicing the techniques we learn during class with a partner. Do you have to participate? Yes! This is a safe, non-judgemental space in which to practice and interact with classmates - to learn and grow.
What equipment do I need to have to participate?
- You will need a reliable phone connection that can call a long-distance phone number
- It is possible to call in through a computer, but is not advised due to audio quality
- You will need access to a computer to access the course content - but it is not needed during the tele-seminar part
- The most important thing is that you have a clear phone connection to be able to communicate with your partner during the practice portion of the class. Nobody wants to spend the entire time asking "can you hear me now?" Also, you will preferably be in a quiet location so that you can focus and feel comfortable practicing (a cafe is probably not ideal), and so that your partner doesn't have to try to hear you over background noise.
How much time will this take each week?
- There is a 1.5 hour live tele-class each week for four consecutive weeks.
- For each of those weeks there is also approximately 1 hour of outside work required to help you be prepared for class. Please arrive prepared!
Will I need to buy a book or anything else?
Nope. Everything is included. No books.
What is the cost?
OCTOBER 2017 - THURSDAYS 2-3:30PM ET
$125 by SEPTEMBER 1st, 2017
$140 after SEPTEMBER 1ST, 2017
DEADLINE TO SIGN UP: FRIDAY SEPTEMBER 29TH, 2017
NOVEMBER 2017 - TUESDAYS 7-8:30PM ET
$125 by OCTOBER 1st, 2017
$140 after OCTOBER 1ST, 2017
DEADLINE TO SIGN UP: WEDNESDAY NOVEMBER 1ST, 2017
Only 1 hour of homework a week?
but my pitta brain demands more!
There will be weekly resources and homework - some required ( 1 hour per week), some optional.
Motivational Interviewing course
Apply your coaching skills for clients resistant to change
16 week coaching course
More in-depth course about the basis of coaching overall
Weekly personal 'Coach Yourself' sessions
6 live sessions
Weekly partner practice sessions